Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 2 Reflection

Passionate, enthusiastic and engaging are words to describe Doug Bundy.  Not only did he present information that was practical and necessary for taking back to my building but taught it in a way that kept my interest the entire time.  Some teachers endure it rather than enjoy it...Doug appears to love it!  Thanks.

I recognize how Google's applications can help collaboration and efficiencies in a business or school.  Our building has used Google docs on a small scale and I've seen the power but I had no idea what it was capable of doing. Today, we were exposed to the tip of the iceberg of Google's potential.  I recognize I'm limited in my knowledge of this technology due to my lack of training and exploration.   It appears that Google makes it easy to learn from their training modules...just need to do it!

The article we read threads the message that we can no longer do things the way we have always done them.  This seems to be a common message from each video, article and speaker we have seen thus far in class. The fact that our students are digital learners and as educators (to draw out) we need to embrace this way of learning by changing the way we do things in our schools.  I agree. 

3 comments:

  1. I've been impressed with your ability to pick things up quickly, despite your comment about lack of training. I wish we had more to time to explore, but I think this is what's needed for many teachers. Some basics, then turn them loose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Teri! I echo Todd's sentiment about lack of training...It is sort of like playing an instrument. The great players I have met (Like Todd, have you ever seen him play?) never speak of having "arrived". It is a constant process of change and re-invention. Bruce Lee said: "Learning is definitely not mere imitation, nor is it the ability to accumulate and regurgitate fixed knowledge. Learning is a constant process of discovery - A process without end."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. The Google Docs is very powerful. Even though you--and I for that matter--feel like we don't know much, you know from experience that once we get it in the hands of kids, even with our limited knowledge, they'll take it deep.

    ReplyDelete